California Residence and Nonresident Supplemental Tuition

Residency Information for Tuition Purposes

The Residence Policy and Guidelines is the main source of residency information and is utilized by the campus residence deputy to make determinations regarding residency. Read the full text of the Residency Policy and Guidelines.

If you do not meet the University of California requirements for residence for tuition purposes on the residence determination date for each term in which you propose to attend the university, you must pay a Nonresident Supplemental Tuition in addition to all other fees. The residence determination date is the day instruction begins at the last of the University of California campuses to open for the quarter.

Statement of Legal Residence 

New undergraduate and graduate students and returning students with an absence of two or more terms must submit a Statement of Legal Residence (SLR). This form is used to determine the fees that will be assessed. Students who do not submit the SLR will be classified as a Nonresident and will be assessed the Nonresident Supplemental Tuition. 

Petitioning for Change of Classification

Continuing students must submit a Petition for Change of Legal Residence Status to the residency deputy by the filing deadline. Late petitions will not be accepted.

Time Limitation on Providing Documentation

If additional documentation is required for residence classification but is not readily accessible, you will have until the third week of instruction of the applicable term to provide it. Failure to meet this deadline will result in your file being closed and your status remaining as a nonresident.

Incorrect Classification

If you are incorrectly classified as a resident, your classification will be corrected and you will be required to pay all nonresident tuition not paid. If you concealed information or furnished false information and were classified incorrectly as a result, you are also subject to university discipline. Resident students who become nonresidents must immediately notify the campus residence deputy.

Inquiries and Appeals


All inquiries regarding residence requirements, determination, and/or recognized exceptions should be directed to the Residence Deputy, Office of the Registrar, 190 Hahn Student Services Building, University of California, Santa Cruz, 1156 High Street, Santa Cruz, CA 95064-1077,, or to the Residence Analyst, University of California Office of the General Counsel, 1111 Franklin Street, 8th Floor, Oakland, CA 94607-5200, or email


Students denied resident status may file an appeal to the Office of the General Counsel. Appeals must be filed within 30 days of notification of the campus residence deputy’s decision.

Instructions and Application to Appeal a Nonresident Classification

Residency Disclaimer

This is only a summary of the UC Residence Regulations and is not a complete explanation of the policy regarding residence classification. Changes may be made to the residence requirements between the publication date of this statement and the relevant residence determination date. Any student, following a final decision on residence classification by the residence deputy, may appeal in writing to the residence specialist within 30 days of notification of the residence deputy’s final decision.

No other University of California personnel are authorized to provide information regarding residence requirements.

Privacy Notice

All of the information requested on the Statement of Legal Residence form is required [established by Regents Policy 3105 as set forth in the UC Residence Policy and Guidelines] for determining whether or not you are a legal resident for tuition purposes. You have the right to inspect university records containing the residence information requested on this form. The records are maintained by the Office of the Registrar, 190 Hahn Student Services Building, University of California, Santa Cruz, 1156 High Street, Santa Cruz, CA 95064-1077.